Saturday, September 6, 2008

Agave Lime Chicken Enchiladas


A friend at work let me try some of the enchiladas that his wife had made for him...and I knew that Stephanie would love them (ok, I liked them too). I asked him for the recipe, and he told me that he would email me the link to his wife's cooking blog. I couldn't wait, though, and did an internet search on my own. I found a recipe on The Sister's Cafe blog. The recipe listed here has been modified to match our taste. Most of the recipes I found (including that of my friend's wife) use honey instead of agave, and it works well too. Some recipes call for adding cream to the enchilada sauce that is poured over the top...neither Stephanie or I liked this addition since it made the enchiladas a bit soggy.

Ingredients
5 Tb agave nectar (or honey)
4 Tb lime juice
1 Tb chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
flour tortillas
pepper jack or monterey jack cheese, shredded
14 oz. can green enchilada sauce

Instructions
Poach the chicken, then shred while it is still warm. Mix first 4 ingredients with shredded chicken. I like to do this in a zip top bag. Marinate for at least a half hour, you can also make this ahead of time and leave it in the fridge overnight. Pour some of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9X13 pan, just enough to coat the bottom. Fill the tortillas with the chicken mix and some cheese. Roll them up and then place them in the pan. Don't be afraid to squish them in...you've got to get 10 of these in there. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top. A note about the sauce...the original recipe called for 10 ounces, I thought it was too dry and so switched to a larger can, which I thought led to a better result. Add more cheese to the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. For the last few minutes, turn on the broiler to crisp up the top.

2 comments:

Brian & Erin said...

This one looks really yummy. I'll have to try it out and let you know what Brian and I think. Thanks.
Erin

Anonymous said...

This is Jared and Mom----the enchiladas rocked Cedar Hills!!! We munched them down (even Dad) with barbequed corn on the cob (courtesy of Jared)and fresh fruit. Too bad Erin and B weren't here. I guess it's Skittles for B. They were really yummy, thanks.