Sunday, September 7, 2008

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Pine nuts, Feta, and Citrus Dressing

I’ve made this salad several times…most of the time it has come out very well. I made it for the family reunion, and it didn’t come out well because I used frozen strawberries (I couldn’t find fresh ones). Lesson learned. PJ and Alex aren’t big salad eaters, so I usually only mix 1/3 of the dressing with 1 ½ cups of the spinach (and ½ the amount of the strawberries, pine nuts, and cheese) since this is enough for Stephanie and me (the boys each have a portion so small it is almost hard to see). We then have the rest of the salad the next night. A note about the feta: we like the Treasure Cave brand but don’t like Aethos at all. And, just for fun, tonight I’m going to try blue cheese crumbles instead of feta.


Ingredients

3T lemon juice
3T sugar
1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tbsp grated lemon rind (can be omitted)
1/8 cup light olive oil or canola

3 cups fresh spinach
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Feta cheese to taste

Instructions

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, mustard, lemon zest, and olive oil.

In a large bowl, toss spinach with enough dressing to coat. Add strawberries, nuts and feta and toss lightly again.

2 comments:

Brett Burnes said...

I'll have to give feta another chance! I had the cheese once on a pizza at a late night pizza joint in San Francisco, and didn't care for the texture. But I'll allow that perhaps I shouldn't shun all feta based on this one experience!

-BB

Dan said...

To be honest with you, I've been an anti-feta person in the past too. I really liked it with this salad, though. I have also tried feta on pizza and was not a fan. :)

Dan